Skype is available for all the latest versions of windows starting from Windows XP. Skype is also available for windows based mobile phones. Skype has been the most popular internet based telecommunication application in recent years. It is not surprising that the popularity will just go on increasing. Knowing this Microsoft bought Skype for $8.5 billion. As Windows is the most used operating system in the world and is also the basic product of Microsoft cooperation, Skype is definitely available for different versions of windows
Basic system requirements for Skype for windows
- Skype is available for Windows XP with service pack 3, Windows vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 for both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
- Sound internet connection with high speed is also required. GPRS does not support video calling.
- Web camera, microphone and speaker for video calling. Microphone and speaker maybe integrated or separate.
- Skype requires at least 1 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM
- Skype also runs in Windows mobile phones. It runs on mobile with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
Skype offers following features for Windows
- Instant messaging: you can chat daily with your friends and family using free instant messaging
- You share files and photos regard to their size.
- Through group video calling you can come together with your family and friends.
- You can call and send messages at same time.
- You can make low cost calls to landline phones and mobile phones. For this service you need to create Skype credit.
Steps to download Skype for windows
- Open your web browser and check your internet connection
- Visit skype.com
- Click on downloads
- Select computer and then click on ‘get Skype for Windows desktop’
- A setup file will start to download. When the download is complete a notification will appear on your screen. Click on save file.
- Go to downloads of your computer and open setup file of Skype which you just downloaded.
- Another notification window will appear asking for your permission to install application. Click on ok.
- Now select your language and click on ‘I agree- next’
- Click on continue and Skype will start to install on your computer.
- After the installation is complete you will find icon of Skype on your desktop. Open it and sign in with you Skype or Microsoft account and enjoy it.
- For mobile phones you can download Skype from Windows app store.